Some of us tend to assume that we have come a long way in terms of globalization and learning more about different people but I have heard some stories from friends and acquaintances that tell me otherwise...or rather that we still have a long way to go!
1. A Swedish businessman was seated next to two Saudi Arabian doctors who asked him in all seriousness: "Is it true that in Sweden there are naked blonde women running around and you can just grab them and have sex with them?"
2. A Spanish girl who had a physicist's degree from a university worried excessively about going to Chinese restaurants and coming into contact with any Chinese during the SARS scare. This was in her home country, Spain.
3. On the day of his first communion, my British friend of Indian descent was out on the lawn with his sister, both dressed up in their Sunday's best. A well-meaning English neighbor walked up to their mother.
"So it's their big day, huh?"
"What do you mean big day?"
"They're getting married aren't they?"
4. A Japanese girl went to a Christmas party dressed in this stapless cocktail dress which was cut above her knee. The skirt had silver fringes on it much like Christmas decorations. An English girl says to her: "Is that your national costume?"
5. A Spanish lawyer explained to me in all seriousness that a daughter of an acquaintance had this serious defect in her sinus as a result of mixed racial background.
"You see. Orientals have flat noses unlike us so when you have children with them they have a defect in their nose..."
The myths are endless. I can't think of more right now but when I do I'll add to this post.