Friday, March 20, 2009

Sourdough Bread Diary Day 6



There was 5 mm of hooch and 2 cm of bubbly froth on top of this. The froth rose a little bit less than 1 cm over the original tape mark I made on the back of this bottle.


From the way this looks, I guess they had one big orgy last night! Thank you Andalucia for your lovely climate. The wild yeasts give you their vote.

My main source says: "When your starter develops a bubbly froth, it is done. You have succeeded. If this sounds brain-dead simple, that's because it is. People who didn't believe the Earth was round did this for millenia." (S. John Ross)

So I'm guessing my starter is ready for some baking...or is it?

Note: There are color inconsistencies from day to day. Just in case some people are wondering the color of the starter does not necessarily change. It's just that I'm neither a photographer nor a graphic designer and don't have the techniques for maintaining this kind of consistency.

Other Very Useful Sources:

Wild Yeast

The Sourdough

6 comments:

Dewi said...

Congratulation for your success! Now, I am waiting for the sourdough bread recipe, yay!
Cheers,
elra

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Elra: Thank you - we are making an attempt to bake bread as I write this... :)

Anonymous said...

Wow.. this is a process right? lol I have never attempted this yet. I am going to send you my info via private mail.. = )

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Girl Japan: Not sure this process would work in countries like Japan where humidity is very high. I'd say the best luck you'd have doing it there would be to do it in the winter when the humidity is lower and inside a room artificially heated-up. Otherwise the fungi might win versus the wild yeast (Saccharomyces exiguus)!

NKP said...

Looking good! Can't wait to see the bread!

Trish said...

I have no idea either about sourdough starter but my very different way of starting it which I gained from a newspaper clipping is about to be put to the test! We shall see. Oh, I know what you mean about the color inconsistencies in photography...I am so NOTTTTTT a photographer! Grin. Good luck. Thanks for coming by my blog. When we look to our mothers it should be with those good memories and I can't see how one can measure a mother only by her time in the kitchen...but my mother was of that generation where the 'kitchen' was her world...and her love and giving flowed from that 'room'. I sure could not measure up to the amount of 'soul' she put behind her cooking and love...but I try with my little family of three (me, hubby and son) to give a sense of centeredness which perhaps sometimes revolves around coming together around the dinner table. Ta...good luck on the starter...can't wait to see the actual baking